Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mama's Day!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend.  We sure did.  It wasn't perfect, and it wasn't relaxing, but we spent time with family and our weekend captured the true essence of motherhood.

I was up bright and early Sunday morning to prepare for our 3 hour trip to visit my family.  I was feeling proud of myself for planning ahead so our morning wouldn't be hectic, and so we could leave on time.  Then it hit me: I didn't check the altar server schedule!  OMG, is Nolan supposed to be an altar server at mass this weekend?!  Panic set in, because if he was an altar server, that meant we'd have to leave in less than 30 minutes in order to get him there on time.  I rushed through my shower, and flew out to my computer to check the schedule.  Sure enough, it was his weekend.  Everyone else was still sleeping, so I had to call out a "red alert" and we all had to spring into action.  After a quick calculation in my mind, I knew there was absolutely no way for us all to be ready in 30 minutes.  So I told Mark to get his shower, and I told Nolan to get dressed.  Mark drove Nolan in, dropped him off, went through the drive-thru for breakfast, and came home.  Meanwhile, I was getting myself ready, getting Luke ready, and feeding us breakfast.  Mark got home, we threw everything we needed for the day in the van, and we headed back to church.  Caught the last 15 minutes of mass, was there for the blessing of farmers, grabbed some blessed soil to sprinkle in our garden, and off we went on our road trip.

It was a success.  Nolan made it in time for altar serving, and somehow, we were the first ones to arrive at my parent's house.  Can't every mom relate to mornings like that?  I think it's just part of the job.  And honestly, when all of our kids are grown and gone, I'll probably wish for the craziness some days :)

I can think of several positive and negative adjectives to describe motherhood.  Sometimes, many adjectives could be used to describe one single moment.  But I love it.  I really, really do.  It is the most important and meaningful job I'll ever have.  I love our kids to pieces, and even though Adam isn't here with us, he's always in my heart.  I often feel his presence and I think he's behind so many of the good moments/blessings in our life. 

In motherhood, the days are long but the years are short.  Over the span of my life, the hard stages are just a little blip on my timeline.  I'm glad I realize that, because if I didn't, I probably wouldn't want our family to expand, LOL! 

Here's to another year of mothering.  I love my mom and my mom friends who are there for support and encouragement through this wonderful, but often overwhelming journey.  It's cool that I have people in my life who value family and, even if they themselves don't want a big family, can totally understand why someone else might.  And women who just in general accept me as I am, whether our parenting choices are the same, similar, or completely different.  When walking in a minefield of mommy wars, it's important to have fellow moms who don't engage in that nonsense.

Moms rock!  Happy Mother's Day!!  <3     

No comments:

Post a Comment